Watertight—the system is installed just below the deck surface. This ensures watertightness is achieved at the deck surface not in gutters from which water must be managed.
Non-Invasive Anchoring—there are no hard metal-to-concrete connections in the system. This includes embedded pins, anchors, screws, bolts or tracks, trays or rails. The system is locked to the joint faces by means of the 1) backpressure of the foam, 2) the epoxy adhesive, and 3) the injected silicone sealant band at the joint face to foam and silicone bellows interface.
Continuity of Seal—as in all EMSEAL expansion joint systems, continuity of seal through changes in plane and direction is an essential performance differentiator. Details for watertight, field-fabricated transitions from deck to wall, at curbs, sidewalks, parapets, tees, and crosses are available with the DSM SYSTEM.
Aesthetics & Versatility—Standard color is gray (other colors available), uniform bellows appearance, double sealing, fuel resistance, and an enhanced ability to handle variations in joint size are among other system features.
- Produced by infusing a cellular foam base material with a hydrophobic, microsphere-modified acrylic impregnation, and coating the surface with a high-performance silicone to suit the application.
- The external silicone facing is factory applied to the foam at a width greater than maximum joint extension and is cured before final compression.
- Silicone application and curing takes place in a temperature and humidity-controlled factory environment. This ensures, in contrast to field applied liquid sealant and backer rod installations, that no movement takes place during curing that can cause deformation or stresses in the sealant material.
- The material is precompressed to less than the joint size for easy insertion.
- When compressed, a bellows is created in the coating. As joint movement occurs the bellows simply folds and unfolds free of tension on the bond line, and virtually free of tensile stresses in the silicone material.
- The material is supplied in 6.56 LF (2m) shrink-wrapped lengths (sticks). After removal from the shrink-wrap and hard board restraining packaging, it expands gradually.
- The foam provides a resilient backing to the silicone coating, making the system capable of resisting reasonable transient point loads.
- Substrates must be parallel, plumb, have sufficient clear depth to receive the material specified, and be capable of resisting approx. 2.5 psi backpressure from the foam.
- Fuel Resistance: Silicone sealant is not degraded by contact with fuel. Some swelling of the material will normally occur, but it will return to its original shape upon evaporation of the fuel.
Transitions & Terminations
(US Patent 9,200,437; Patent Pending)
- Universal-90’s (or U-90’s) are factory-made 90-degree transition pieces that ensure continuity-of-seal where expansion joints change plane.
- Use of U-90’s eliminates the field work needed to make plane changes making overall installation fast and efficient.
- Watertightness through the plane change is guaranteed–leaving nothing to chance in field-fabricating inside and outside transitions.
- U-90 transitions are symmetrically coated on both faces allowing them to be installed as an inside corner or as an outside corner.
- Straight-run sticks are joined in the field to the U-90’s.
- U-90’s have a 12-inch (305mm) long leg and a 6-inch (152mm) vertical piece on each side of the elbow.
- Custom-90’s, are factory-fabricated inside and outside 90-degree transition pieces coated on just the weather-facing faces.
- Custom-90’s are available when field conditions and measurements are known up front.
- Custom-90’s are widely used in stadium tread and riser applications or other applications where numerous inside and outside 90-degree transitions are required. Consult EMSEAL.
- As with any construction product, the useful life of the material can be maximized with routine inspection and repair if required.
- Clearing of surface debris and inspection will reveal any damage to the product or adjacent substrates that might affect building performance.
- EMSEAL precompressed sealants are easily repaired–requiring only damaged sections to be removed and reinstalled–not the entire length of the joint as is typical of extruded-seal systems.
- For guidance on appropriate snow removal practice click here.
Availability & Price
- Available for shipment internationally.
- Prices are available from local distributors or representatives. For more information, contact EMSEAL.
- The product range is continually being updated, and accordingly EMSEAL® reserves the right to modify or withdraw any product without prior notice.