Head of Water: For submerged applications this product has been tested in a hydrostatic-head pressure simulator to continuously resist water pressure of various levels without leaking. Reference the table and/or consult EMSEAL for application-specific conditions.
Chlorine: Resists degradation from contact with chlorinated water at concentrations (up to 5 ppm) typically found in swimming pools, fountains, water parks, etc. including normal and intermittent maintenance “shock” concentrations.
Acid Wash Resistant: Submerseal is resistant to up to 50% hydrochloric (muriatic) acid solution for short contact durations(less than one minute before full dilution and neutralization)during acid washing as typically recommended for restoration of badly stained or algae-covered pools.
NSF 61 Compliant: Compliant to NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for contact with potable drinking water and with FDA Regulation CFR 177.2600 for indirect contact with food.
Non-Invasive Anchoring: There are no hard metal-to-substrate connections with Submerseal. This includes embedded pins, anchors, screws, bolts or tracks, trays or rails. The system is locked to the joint faces by means of the 1) backpressure of the foam; 2) the epoxy adhesive, and 3) the field-injected silicone sealant band and corner bead at the joint face to foam-and-silicone bellows interface.
Wastewater: Effluent concentration should be discussed with EMSEAL.
- The silicone coating is compliant to NSF/ANSI Standard 61; NSF Standard 51; FDA Regulation CFR 177.2600; MIL-A-46146
• Submerseal is produced by coating an impregnated cellular foam with a non-corrosive liquid silicone sealant.
• The external silicone facing is factory applied to the foam at a width greater than the maximum offered extension and is cured before final compression.
• The silicone application and curing takes place in a factory-controlled environment. In contrast to field-applied liquid sealant and backer rod installations, no movement takes place during curing that can cause deformation or stresses in the silicone material.
• When compressed, a convex bellows is created in the coating. As joint movement occurs the bellows simply folds and unfolds virtually free of tensile stress in the silicone material.
• The foam provides a resilient backing to the silicone coating, making the system capable of resisting head pressure.
• Submerseal is supplied in 6.56 LF (2m) shrink-wrapped lengths (sticks). Submerseal is precompressed to less than the joint size for easy insertion. After removal from the shrink-wrap and hard board restraining packaging, it expands gradually.
Substrates must be solid, parallel, plumb and free of any contaminants.
Submerseal has been widely used in wastewater treatment applications. However, effluent concentration should be discussed with EMSEAL. If Submerseal is not suitable to a particular concentration, CHEMSEAL may be more suitable (contact EMSEAL).
IMPORTANT–Cure Time After Installation: Submerseal cannot resist hydrostatic pressures or chemical concentrations stated unless a minimum of seven days is allowed for the injected silicone sealant bands and corner beads to fully cure. Cure time can vary based on environmental conditions. It is the responsibility of the installer to monitor cure.
Transitions and Terminations
(US Patent 9,200,437 Patent Pending)
U-90’s are factory-made transition pieces that ensure continuity-of-seal where expansion joints change plane or direction.
Submerseal is manufactured in straight-run sticks which can be joined in the field to EMSEAL’s patented and patent-pending “Universal-90” transitions.
These factory-fabricated single-piece 90-degree units have a 12-inch long leg and a 6-inch vertical piece on each side of the elbow. Universal-90 transition are symmetrically coated on both faces allowing them to be installed as an inside corner or as an outside corner.
In addition to guaranteeing watertightness, EMSEAL’s “Universal-90’s” allow for much faster and secure installation by eliminating field cutting or notching and bending, at angles.
Custom-90’s (patent pending), coated on just the weather-facing faces, are also available when field conditions and measurements are known up front.Consult EMSEAL.
(More on Universal-90’s)
No maintenance is typically required.
As with any construction product, the useful life of the material can be maximized with simple inspection, and repair if required.
Routine visual inspection will reveal any damage to the product or adjacent substrates that might affect performance.
Availability & Price
- Available for shipment internationally.
- Prices are available from local distributors or representatives and/or directly from the manufacturer.
- The product range is continually being updated, and accordingly EMSEAL® reserves the right to modify or withdraw any product without prior notice.