With SJS-FR One Install Does It All--Fire-Rated,
Watertight, Traffic Bearing, 100% Movement, Quiet, Non-Invasive
Anchoring, UL 2079 Certified for Decks and Floors
• SJS-FR1 (1-hour rated) and SJS-FR2 (2-hour rated) are designed to provide a watertight, fire-rated,
trafficable joint system in 4-inch
joint openings, in decks including parking decks, stadium concourses,
stadium treads and risers, and other horizontal plane applications in
• The SJS-FR SYSTEM features all of the performance advantages of the
standard SJS SYSTEM and adds the
significant advancement of a built-in,
• The SJS-FR SYSTEM is two horizontal fire-rated joints pre-assembled in
parallel adjacent to an extruded composite spline. The spline is designed as
the receptor for the attachment of traffic plates that bear vehicle and
• SJS-FR has been tested and certified by Underwriters Laboratories
(UL/ULC), to the rigors of UL 2079 for both 1-hour (SJS-FR1) and 2-hour
• The silicone-and-impregnated-foam hybrid components act to anchor the
system, ensure watertightness, absorb sound, and dampen vibration.
• Fire-retardant-impregnated foam is factory pre-coated on the underside
with an intumescent fireproofing material. The traffic surface and the
bottom both receive a watertight silicone outer coating. The resulting
composite is then factory compressed to less than its nominal size for
installation into structural or other openings.
• The factory-assembled spline, bellows, and foam, are shipped with
factory-attached installation hanger-bars.
• Epoxy gel adhesive is field-applied to the faces of the joint opening.
• The sealing assembly is lowered into the joint gap where it
self-expands into the epoxy adhesive.
• Consecutive lengths are joined through the field-application of
manufacturer-supplied, low-modulus, high-movement silicone to the spline and
intersecting bellows surfaces. The fire-retardant foam ends are coated with
a full layer of intumescent sealant.
• Friction fit alignment pins prevent the joins from moving during
• A field-applied silicone sealant band is injected at the bellows to
joint substrate interface to complete the waterproofing.
• The SJS-FR joint-sealing assembly installation hanger bars are removed
sequentially as coverplates are lowered over the joint and screwed to the
center spline, completing the installation.
Specify the SJS-FR
- Comply with life-safety requirements
- Eliminate leaks and handle traffic and point loads at large
structural expansion joints
- Reduce noise
- Eliminate hard connections to concrete
- Prevent deterioration of concrete decks
- Reduce tenant complaints
- Reduce maintenance costs